RE: XML 1.0 Conformance Test Results

A specification normally has a formal foundation that covers the
semantics much more than a test suite. Thus, defining the final
recommendation as a sequence of tests would be a really bad idea.
However, it would be a good idea to require that the implementations
presented as proofs to go to proposed recommendation go through a test
suite to show the requirements to go out of the candidate recommendation
phase...

Best regards
Michael (speaking for myself)