Re: xml and z39.50 protocol

David,

You might find the information available on the Species Analyst website
useful.  They have some tools and libraries available for using Z39.50
and XML together (Windows only, though).  From their web site:

Why "Z.X"?  The Species Analyst relies heavily upon the fusion of the
ANSI/NISO Z39.50 standard for information retrieval (ISO 23950) and XML.

http://tsadev.speciesanalyst.net/Z.X/

Also, you may be interested in XER -- XML Encoding Rules.  Somewhat
inactive, but interesting nonetheless as a means of representing Z39.50
over XML.

http://asf.gils.net/xer/

Matt

Matt Jones                                    jones@nceas.ucsb.edu