XML Directory structure

Hello!

I am new to XML and am wondering what experiences people have in designing
their XML applications. Is is better to have your XML files in a single
directory (grouped according to function) or with your HTML pages?

In favour the single directory, I was thinking that this makes sense when
you include all the style sheets and associated files and take security into
account. It is easier to change access to a single directory than multiple
files when new files may be added. To illustrate, assume a simple page that
will use XML for a phone list and web page links. I woud put the phone list
in "xmlcontact" and web page links in "xmllinks".

I could not find any standards that directly relate to this, but I did not
expect to find any either as it is more of a personal preference.

What are other people doing?