Re: Escher could have drawn it (Re: XML Schema and Entities)

Evan Lenz wrote:

> Eric van der Vlist wrote:
> > 2) Inclusions (external parsed entities),
> > This is the goal of XInclude that goes beyond DTDs by allowing to
> > include subsets of documents.
>
> A shortcoming of XInclude, when compared to entities, is that XInclude only
> allows a merging of infosets, and fragments don't have infosets. This means
> that XInclude is not currently up to the task of replacing entities by a
> long shot.
>
> "Well-formed XML entities that do not have defined infosets (e.g. an
> external entity file with multiple top-level elements) are outside the scope
> of this specification, either for use as a source infoset or the result
> infoset."[1]

XPointer has been extended to support external entities [1], though:

"Like [XSLT], XPointer allows the root node to have multiple child
elements, to allow XPointers to address into arbitrary external parsed
entities as well as well-formed documents."

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr#b2d250b5b9

I wonder what you can do with a set of nodes identified by a XPointer if
it has no infoset!

Eric