RE: Binary XML

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Alaric Snell wrote:

> Quoting Matt Sergeant <matt@sergeant.org>:
>
> > > HTTP has, for a long time, supported bit-transparent compression like
> > deflate
> > > (aka gzip), just the browsers don't often bother sending the header
> > that says
> > > "C'mon! You can send it compressed!".
> >
> > Not true. The majority of the content I deliver from my AxKit based
> > servers (which transparently supports gzip compression) is compressed.
>
> What clients hit it?

All different ones. Like any site, mostly IE5 (which supports gzip), but
also a lot of Netscape 4 (which supports gzip), and a bit of Mozilla
(which supports gzip), and a few others.

Most of the clients get the gzipped copy. Those that aren't seem to be
either buggy versions of MSIE, or crawlers. I've had one complaint about
recieving gzipped XML so far, from a user of Netscape 3 on Solaris where
it popped up a dialog box saying /usr/bin/gunzip couldn't be found :-)

--
<Matt/>

     \\//
     //\\