Is expat thread safe?

I'm using expat to handle some XML work I am doing and
at my code review, people asked about the therad safety of expat.
I looked around at this groups archives and other web resources
and didn't see a solid answer.
My server process is creating a separate parser instance for each thread
so I expect that it is OK.
But I wanted to get another opinion.
Thanks for any advice you can give.
**kent