RE: XML and SGML

Anyone familiar with the mil manuals of the
period, the indexing such as structures for callouts,
reference designators, the 87269 DB structures for
IETMs knows SGML is about information capture in
general, not just documents.  The topic of what is
a document kept coming up and has been satisfactorily
answered in the literature.  It was at its most interesting
when implementors and designerd began to store SGML
in relational DBs and discovered the problems of
crushing rich structures into table structures.  It
worked but it was awkward.

>>Rod Davison wrote:

>> SGML is designed for documention.

That's another Myth Of XML... SGML is more flexible, not less.
SGML is the parent, the superset, and has more power than XML.
The software cost more and so did the ad campaigns.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h