XML and server-side inclue or external javascript files

Can you have XML code loaded from a server side include or external
javascript files? I made my javascript to load my XML/XSL files very generic
and conceptually, that code would be ideal from a server-side include.
(Maintain in one location, etc.) However, when I tried to implement this
idea, I would get no output. Was anyone able to place XML/XSL into
server-side includes or external Javascript files?

<!-- the following would be unique to each web page -->
<script type="text/javascript">
FirstAid.innerHTML
=generatetable("../ContactList/Contact.xml","FirstAid.xsl");

<!-- the following is common to all web pages -->
function generatetable(XMLFile,XSLFile)
{
// Load XML
	var xml = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
	var xsl = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")
	xml.async = false
	xsl.async = false
	xml.validateOnParse=true
	xml.load(XMLFile)