RE: [OT] The stigma of schema

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Steve Rowe wrote:
> Rick Jelliffe wrote:
> > Is there any word in English which uses the -ta plural
> > (apart from in Rap)?
>
> At least 80 of them, by my count:

Leaving aside medical, religious, and grammatical terms, where
there is a long tradition of retaining the non-English plural
form, I am not sure my college president has awarded many
diplomata recently, nor my doctor administered any enemata, nor
Winston Churchill puzzled over the enigmata of Russia, nor my
choirmaster encouraged greater legato in the melismata.

William of Occam was right.

///Peter