RE: Data storage, data exchange, data manipulation

I think it was Tom Passin who pointed out the distinction between conceptual
and physical data models. This would imply conceptual as well as physical
schemas, although I think all schemas to date are schemas that model a user
domain with some physical representation in mind. Can there be a conceptual
Schema? UML may get us close to defining one, but even there I think UML is
tainted by physical model pollution in subtle ways.

So a conceptual schema independent of physical representation is conceivable
to my mind. That representaion would then be transformed to various physical
schemas, although probably not isomorphically.

Now, the rules for defining a conceptual schema based on business domain I
think could be formalized, just like database schemas normalization rules
are formalized. I think a conceptual schema would model a physical reality
in the same way that mathematics models a physical reality (plus some
surreality for good measure).