Re: xml question regarding document comparing

Dennis,

If you download DeltaXML Markup from our web site
(http://www.deltaxml.com) this will show you the 'real' changes
between two XML files and it work for small files without payment.

As well as identifying changes to XML files it will re-combine a
change file with an original file. So, depending on the actual
structure of your files, you may be able to diff two and apply the
diffs to the other one - you may not get exactly the results you want
automatically but you will see exactly what has changed which is the
first step. As the delta file is in XML you can easily view it or
convert to HTML to look at it (XSL scripts to do this are on the web
site and in the download).

But to do this merge properly, you need a more intelligent comparison
that knows about the DTD. In general, a merge of XML files without
knowing about the DTD or Schema structure does not produce good
results without human input. We have a DTD-aware comparator in
DeltaXML DTD but it was not easy to write this! But it does do a more
intelligent comparison and re-combination based on the DTD structure.
Although this is not free it is a cost-effective solution unless you
value your time at zero.

You have other suggestions, e.g. alphaworks, from other replies.

Kind regards,
Robin