RE: XML and unit testing

JUnit seems to form a consensus as the unit testing framework for Java code.
But this does not address the specific needs of unit testing of Java code
manipulating XML data. A thing that would be great is a JUnit extension like
HTTPUnit for unit testing of web pages or Cactus for unit testing of
servlets and JSP.

A unit testing toolbox for XML could have those features amongst many others
:

- XMLAssertUtils.areCanonicallyEqual(dom1,dom2), which would compare two DOM
instances for equality of their canonical form

- XMLAssertUtils.areEqualRegardlessOfNodeOrdering(dom1,dom2), which would

- XMLAssertUtils.match(dom1,xpathExpressionAsString,nodeset) or
AssertUtils.equals(dom1,xpathExpressionAsString,text) that would permit
testing of individual nodes without writing complex DOM manipulation code,
or having to tackle with various XPath API

- XMLAssertUtils.isValidForDTD(dom,dtd) that would ensure that the document
dom is valid for the given dtd. XMLAssertUtils.isValidForDTD(dom) would
validate the document against its intrinsic DTD.

- XMLAssertUtils.isValidForXMLSchema(dom,xmlSchemaDom) would ensure that the
document is valid for the given XML Schema

- XMLAssertUtils.isValidForRELAXNGSchema(dom,relaxNGSchema),
XMLAssertUtils.isValidForSchematronSchema(dom,schematronSchema), etc. There
could even be a generic Schema interface so that we wouldn't have to make a
difference between all schema languages

- A kind of SAXAsserter that would compare two SAX event flow for equality
(two threads pushing SAX events on the same asserter)

- Utility methods to handle input data for test cases as XML data, without
all the code overhead for setting up the parsing of a file (the objective is
to reduce the time needed to write fixtures)

Is there such a toolset like this now, or is there someone building one ?

Regards,
Nicolas Lehuen
Responsable R&D - Head of R&D
Ubicco - Multi Access Software Solutions
http://www.ubicco.com/