Re: Blueberry/Unicode/XML

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 09:33:12PM -0700, Tim Bray wrote:
> Boy, this one's tough.  I buy neither Elliote's assertion that
> changing XML is unthinkable, nor John Cowan's assertion that the
> depth of the cultural affront to users of pre-Unicode-3.1
> languages is so high as to outweigh consideration of cost.

Clearly, you're not from a third-world country. I am, and while I
would not claim to speak for any other third-worlder, and even though
I personally am not affected by the limitations, I find the "affront"
offensive in the extreme. "Cost" is not only about money or the
difficulties highy-paid first-world people would experience in having
to put in a few weeks of overtime and short sleeps to update their
parsers. The suffering!

Colin