Re: participating communities (was XML Blueberry)

At 20:56 10/07/01, John Cowan wrote:
>Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>

>>Meanwhile the existing XML code keeps working.
>>Meanwhile, the existing XML code keeps working.
>>Meanwhile, the existing XML code keeps working.
>
>>Meanwhile, the existing XML code keeps working at the same cost.
>
>>Meanwhile, the existing XML code keeps working.
>

>If W3C does anything or nothing, or ISO does anything or
>nothing, or private persons and organizations do anything,
>or nothing, then existing code will work with existing
>documents.  Nothing that is not changed will change.
>So that refrain is meaningless.

It means: 'We keep our precious interoperability', which Blueberry
threatens to destroy.

After Blueberry, existing XML 1.0 parsers won't work with existing
Blueberry documents. That's the problem.

>The existing code will *not* keep working with the
>privately extended documents, so the people who need
>these private extensions will be second-class citizens.

If a new XML version comes out, every XML 1.0 user will be forced
to choose: to pay the cost to upgrade or to be a second-class XML
citizen (no interoperability) until that cost is paid in full.

Don't get me wrong. I would like to see a new and improved XML
version, but, in my opinion, the good and desirable improvements
included in Blueberry aren't big enough to justify the potentially
huge costs a new XML version will impose on existing users and
other people.

Blueberry should strive to solve all problems in XML 1.0, and not
only some of them.