throwing SAX Exceptions from SAX Filters

I'm presently writing a SAX Filter which supports the Regular
Fragmentations work I'm doing.  As part of an effort to reduce the
project's explicit reliance on the Xerces parser's regex routines (for
matching) and the regexp's split() functionality, I'm building an
interface which allows developers to create tiny wrappers around
whatever regex package they find most appropriate.

Part of that involves using the newInstance() method to create classes
based on system properties or command line output, and I need to handle
and throw exception.  Although this code is part of a SAX filter, the
work it is doing isn't explicitly SAX-related.

Should I be throwing SAXExceptions?  Or concocting something new?