DomParser.parse(): How do I pass in a String as the XML document

Hi,

I know I should be posting this on the xerces-j-user@xml.apache.org mailing
list but I can't seem to get subscribed properly. Hopefully, somebody can
help me out here or refer me to an appropriate resource.

I'm using the Apache Xerces DomParser.

I know how to parse an XML file.
DOMParser parser = new DOMParser();
parser.parse("file:///c:/tmp.xml");

How do I parse a String that represents an XML document.
Eg. parser.parse("<?xml version="1.0"?> <ReportingEvents>...");

I see the parse method in the DOMParser class. Does this class inherit from
something else. If I knew what the parameter choices were I made be able to
try something. A Java XML book I have stated that many parsers accept
InputStreams but that way I get a compile error.

Any help appreciated.

thanks,
Peter