Re: Closing Blueberry

John Cowan wrote

> Repeating: the NEL proposal does *not* change the grammar
> of XML: what it does is add NEL and LS (U+2028) to the
> list of things that are accepted externally and mapped
> to LF first thing by the parser.

I must have missed this the first time you wrote it, because I don't think
it's true.

The xml rec currently states (in 2.11)  "To simplify the tasks of
applications, the characters passed to an application by the XML processor
must be as if the XML processor normalized all line breaks in external
parsed entities (including the document entity) on input, before parsing, by
translating both the two-character sequence #xD #xA and any #xD that is not
followed by #xA to a single #xA character."

I think the important point here is that the characters passed to the
application must be *as if* they were normalised.  The spec does not state
that the normalisation must occur before parsing (it could happen before
passing the characters to the application but after input tokenization).  If
it did then the white space production: s ::== (#x20 | #x9 | #xD | #xA)
wouldn't make sense because there would be no #xDs in the input stream.

Regards
~Rob

--
Rob Lugt