From: Rod Davison
To: ''xml-dev@lists.xml.org' '
Sent: 07/23/2001 10:58 AM
Subject: Re: Conversion tools

An interesting problem, ordinary text to XML.

In my opinion (which may be totally surreal) it is a quantum leap to go
from
(1) conversion of one mark-up system to XML; to (2) conversion of plain
text
to XML.

Unless you are talking about simple format triggered conversions like a
block
of text gets converted to a <para> element or something like that, it
seems
that you need some sort of text content understanding to decide how to
map
the text to a document structure.

Perhaps I missed your point?