RE: Binary XML

I hit "send" too quickly. Two other points worth mentioning:

When I said it's legal for intermediaries to alter text content, I should
clarify that there are rules around that. Basically, the intermediary can
alter white space (e.g. wrap long lines, translate line feeds, change the
character encoding, etc.). If binary content is misidentified as a text
media type, or not identified at all and mistakenly interpreted as text,
then the binary data can be corrupted due to this.

Since intermediaries are not supposed to interpret or alter binary types,
you can use the media type of "application/xml" rather than "text/xml" for
XML payloads, and the rules that apply to intermediaries are different. An
intermediary is supposed to treat "application/xml" as binary data, which
means it should not alter white space, change the character encoding,
translate line feeds, or anything else that means changing any of the bytes
on the wire. So when maintaining document content byte-for-byte is
important, you should always use an "application/*" media type, not a
"text/*" media type.