From: "Kenneth Whistler" <kenw@sybase.com>
To: <rees@server.mediafusion.co.jp>
Cc: <adollen@ix.netcom.com>; <kenw@sybase.com>
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 5:52 AM
Subject: Re: FW: about section 3.9, line boundary, and NEL

> Dear Mr. Rees,
>
> Thanks for reporting this, but I believe the relevant listing
> of characters listing as having line boundary control should
> probably stay as is. NEL is unusual in that it is a C1 control
> function, and not all implementations of C1 control *codes*
> map the functions to the same locations as ISO 6429. The
> Unicode Standard is agnostic regarding the mapping of C1
> control functions. If you look at the names list, the
> entire list U+0080..U+009F is listed just as "<control>", with
> the ISO 6429 control functions given as aliases, rather than
> as normative character names.
>
> So giving a line boundary control property to U+0085 could
> be misleading to some implementations.
>
> I think the right way to handle this might be to add to the
> annotation regarding NEL in the table in UAX #13 to clarify
> its exceptional status in the Unicode Standard. Note that
> the entire text of UAX #13 is going to be incorporated into
> the main text of the Unicode Standard when we publish Unicode 4.0,
> so there will be a chance to make clarifying edits of this
> sort.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> --Ken Whistler, Technical Director, Unicode, Inc.

To be a tree supporting all information,
  giving root to the chaos
    and branches to the trivia,
      information breathing anew --
        This is the aim of Yggdrasill.
============================XML as Best Solution===
Media Fusion Co. ,Ltd.  株式会社メディアフュージョン
Amagasaki  TEL 81-6-6415-2560    FAX 81-6-6415-2556
    Tokyo TEL 81-3-3516-2566   FAX 81-3-3516-2567
                       http://www.mediafusion.co.jp