RE: Help!

Simply be careful to differentiate popular and
applicable by necessity.

Depending on the data source, it is likely that
SQL will be the most industrially used XML query
language for some time.  It has the advantage
of clarity, ease, and years of experience in
optimization.   The XPath syntax is gnomic and
prone to misinterpretation particularly when
using namespaces.  The bulk of data sources
are relational.  Before using XQuery, look at
the tools, for example, SQLServer and inquire
into the SQL extensions that return XML to
see if they are adequate.  In very many cases,
they will be and will prove to be less difficult
to learn and apply.

The thorniest discussion these days is explaining
to customers, managers and developers when XML
and indeed most WWW technology is not
appropriate for the task at hand.

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety