RE: free love and XML

From the free love generation to the free beer generation:

Free data and free love both depend on cleanliness.   A lot
of the very big databases that would make for a swell group
grope are less than pristine.  Who absorbs the cost of
the cleanup determines who gropes whom and then there goes
the "free" DOM.

And there is no one to blame.  Dirty data comes of dirty
development done dirt cheap and the usual grime that living
systems accrue.  Implementing XML Schemas can be an opportunity
to clean it up, or we can keep hiding it in the code.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon St.Laurent [mailto:simonstl@simonstl.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2001 8:51 AM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: free love and XML

I'll admit to being a little frightened about discussing "free love" in
any computing context, but...

I gave a presentation at last week's O'Reilly Open Source Conference on
Open Source, Open Data: What XML has to offer Open Source:

http://simonstl.com/articles/open/index.html

Free beer, free speech, and now free love.  What's the computing world
coming to?

Simon St.Laurent
Associate Editor
O'Reilly & Associates