RE: Namespaces, W3C XML Schema (was Re: ANN: SAX Filters forNamespaceProcessing)

On 31 Jul 2001 13:53:53 -0400, David E. Cleary wrote:
> > Namespaces in XML provides a means of pinning down element and attribute
> > identifiers to avoid potential conflicts.  By blessing the use of
> > unqualified names within namespace-qualified contexts, W3C XML Schema
> > makes precise identification of those identifiers a much more complex
> > task.
>
> So show me which specification forbids this use? If XML Schema forbid this
> type of document, then maybe I'd understand your argument.

(not forbidden) != (best practice)

I'd certainly suggest that the semantics people are attaching to
unqualified names inside of qualified elements go well beyond anything
stated by Namespaces in XML.  I'd be much happier with Namespaces in XML
had it foreseen this practice and either accounted for it or forbidden
it.

We had that discussion already:
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/05/30/deviant.html

Hardly conclusive, hardly encouraging.