Re: Namespaces, W3C XML Schema (was Re: ANN: SAX FiltersforNamespaceProcessing)

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> On 31 Jul 2001 13:53:53 -0400, David E. Cleary wrote:
> > So show me which specification forbids this use? If XML Schema forbid this
> > type of document, then maybe I'd understand your argument.
>
> (not forbidden) != (best practice)

Agreed.

By introducing unqualified child elements, XML Schemas has done for
well-formed document processing (with respect to namespaces) what
attribute defaults did to well-formed document processing (with respect
to DTDs). This is not necessarily something to be proud of.

The net result is that, in the absence of a schema/DTD (or hard-coding
schema/DTD information in your application), you can't correctly
interpret the document. In other words, your document is not portable.

-- Ron