RE: The SAX2 standard ? (was SAX2 bugs -- please file!)

I reckon that I may have been a little bit too enthusiastic about the
"standard" word. Moreover, I mixed together two different problems :
standardization of XML and standardization of XML processing APIs.

"Standards", or "Specs", or "Recommandations", or "Requests For Comments",
you name it, are a way to answer differents concerns.

My concern, as an XML user, is to have the guarantee that the XML content I
produce or get can be handled by my tools and applications. This is why I'm
worried about the recent Blueberry debate, that made me ask myself "how
decides, anyway ?".

My concern, as a XML developer, is to be able to easily integrate together
tools and libraries and weave my application code in between. This requires
sound APIs recognized by the industry. If such an API doesn't exist, then
I'll have to write adaptation code - annoying, but no big deal. However,
with a very simple event-based API, you have a great integration power, so
it would be very sad not to have a sound and recognized API for this. This
is why I wanted to know who was making decisions on the future of SAX.

My concern, as a tool or library developer, is to give my customers tools or
libraries they can use to write their application. I have to make sure that
my products integrate with as most other tools as possible. I can't invent a
new XML processing API every morning, because my customers won't appreciate
wasting time and money to write adaptation code. Here, XML manipulation APIs
are vital. And I'm not alone in this case. So today, it seems that one of
these vital API is written and maintained by benevolent people, and I'm
worried about how the industry, standardization organisms and so on interact
with these people.

It's quite fascinating to see all those XML technologies emerge from a so
wide variety of people, organisms, companies, etc. The Internet was also
created from a common initiative. But AFAIK, RFC management has been
centralized early on, and it seems to me that some parts of the current XML
specification efforts are much more complicated than most RFCs. How are we
going to make sure that all these specs and technologies keep coherent with
each other ? How are we going to prevent XML from exploding into multiple
sub-specs, thus failing to reach the possibilities of XML as an unifying
data exchange system ? I just hope someone knows how.

Regards,
Nicolas