RE: ANN: SAX Filters for Namespace Processing

> > > In this case, I wish this usage had been considered during the
> > > development of the namespaces spec and dealt with explicitly.
> >
> > I wouldn't blame the namespaces spec for not handling this. The
> > namespaces spec is quite clear about how to get a universal name: get
> > the namespace URI from the prefix (or the default) and the local name
> > from the local name.
> >
> > Can you imagine the list of rules to disallow things?
>
> 1 rule. For an XML document to be namespace compliant, it will not contain
> any unqualified elements once any namespace is in scope.

...which would completely break XSLT literal result elements which represent
a pretty intuitive use case for unqualified child elements.

Also of note is the fact that XML Schemas was not the first technology to
use QNames in attribute values. Whether good or bad, that approach was
adopted by XSLT.

Evan Lenz
XYZFind Corp.