Re: SAX Filters for Namespace Processing

Not that I want to re-open the debates that were had a couple of months ago,
I have a couple of small questions:

  <givenName>Chip</givenName>
  <familyName>Skillet</familyName>
  <address>
    <city>Ithaca</city>
  </address>

Assuming you have encountered the above example, what was it that you
couldn't do because of the unqualified nature?  Obviously there is a touchy
issue with unqualified elements being designed within a schema that
represents a namespace, while they are not, themselves, within that
namespace.  This can make it difficult to process them, I suppose, but what
is the exact difficulty?

From a purely naive point of view (mine) I see XML as completely heirarchal;
where context is king.  Processing elements rarely occurs outside of knowing
context (be it only the context of a specific document), so it would seem
that needing the context in the case of unqualified elements is perfectly
natural.

My second question revolves around the default namespace issue (which is
where this all got really contentios last time).  I am wondering if you make
any special choices, or plan to regarding default namespaces:

<root xmlns="http://simonstl.com/default">
    <givenName>Chip</givenName>
    <familyName>Skillet</familyName>
    <address>
      <city>Ithaca</city>
    </address>
</root>

or

<root xmlns="http://simonstl.com/default">
    <givenName>Chip</givenName>
    <familyName>Skillet</familyName>
    <address xmlns="">
      <city>Ithaca</city>
    </address>
</root>

I am not looking to say what would be right or wrong-- I am just wondering
how or if your filter handles these?

Regards,
Jeff Rafter
Defined Systems
http://www.defined.net
XML Development and Developer Web Hosting