Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2001 5:46 PM
Subject: RE: Use of XML ?

Uhh, tell that to Mr. Gates and Mr. Ballmer, and the millions of Win XP users who will have to install their own JVM!

Actually, this gets to the most important "why use XML" rationale:  because it's there.  For a mixture of reasons, the industry all decided to jump on the XML bandwagon, so the classic "chicken and egg" problem is avoided: there is a supply of XML tools everywhere because there is demand for XML, and a demand for XML because the necessary tools are in place.

So, XML is sortof like Zsa Zsa Gabor -- famous for being famous :~) It is pervasive bacause it is pervasive, and you should consider using it if for no other reason than because everyone else is using it.  Of course, he who lives by the hype shall die by the hype, but there is enough of a hard core of truth in the XML hype to last us awhile.