RE: Standards (yet again) was RE: Use of XML ?

But wait a minute, doesn't it say in the profile that
XML is a conforming subset of SGML?

I suspect if we looked carefully at the content,
and the copyrights, we would find sufficient cause
to claim at the very least, copyright infringement
were the current arrangements not in place (see below).
It is clear that XML does substantially use and
modify the IP that is SGML.  That can be seen
by examining the documentation, by a review of
extant messages, and by interview.

(NOTE TO READERS:  No one will do this.  There is no advantage
to it for any party.  We are having a discussion to
look at the ins and outs of standards, specs, etc.
and how they are affected by legal entities).

Yes, the law comes down often to lawyers, judges,
and deep and not-so-deep pockets.  Yet the point
is, "What should and can we require of authorities that
seek to govern by consent?"  To what extent does
the use of XML correspond to contract law?  Where
a standard is cited in a contract for services, the
cited document is by reference, part of the contract.
That is a situation where the contracting parties
must be aware of the implications of the reference.

Yes, the WebTC  preserved the relationship
between ISO and the W3C with respect to the definition
of SGML and a conforming subset, XML.  It should be noted
that this relationship is of value, else it would not
be documented thus.   We may inquire what that value
is and how it manifests.  Opinions?

Len Bullard
Intergraph Public Safety
clbullar@ingr.com