Re: Semantic Web

Hiya.

One might want to "down translate" in order to protect information resources
that have commercial value.

When this issue originaly cropped up on the XSLT mailing list with regard to
XSL:FO, I coined the term "semantic firewall".

It's a *really* big issue for a lot of information providers (at the time I
was working for Dialog, a provider of fat news feeds for corporates). You
want the raw XML feed... pay [extra] for it.

I'm not making a personal comment here as to the rights and wrongs of this
practice (trying to avoid a moral discourse, which would simply reproduce
old polarised arguments), simply reminding people of an important commercial
consideration in this area.

XSL:FO it should be noted is really good for this purpose, but HTML+CSS
isn't bad either, with XML+CSS fitting being a reasonable compromise.

For the semantic Web to work it has to acknowledge and facilitate this
process, or it'll simply be side-stepped.

If I've misunderstood the issue being raised, simply ignore.

Cheers
    Guy.