RE: Semantic Web

I'm not sure it protects that much.  Still, you
have stepped precisely into the area that the
misappropriation remedy tries to address.
Downtranslation ups the cost of the sweat of
the brow to recreate the original sources using
technical means  in an attempt to protect the
property owner from misappropriation through
other technical means.

When we side step a moral issue to emphasize
a commercial issue, we are on precisely the
same course which Elizabeth I set the English
privateers on:  pillage in the name of the Queen.
If we measure her success, it was successful.  Note
that she later beheaded some of these same
captains of *industry* when the political winds
changed and she needed legitimacy in the eyes
of the world.  Governments are fickle.

International courts try to sort this stuff out
every day.  Misappropriation theory is a
US court-based theory.  Canadian courts, for example, don't
subscribe to it.   But it only took five minutes
to find it; there are probably other precedents
that could be raised if there were sufficient
cause or motivation.  The spectre of the
Semantic Web may actually force this given
that authority over ontologies is a hot issue
and most reasonable minds are pursuing
service-based systems instead.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard