chaining schemas

Hi all,

I was hoping that someone would be able to explain something to me.  I
am curious to know how chaining of schemas works.  For example if you
have a schema called schema1.xsd and you include it in schema2.xsd, when
schema2.xsd gets included into schema3.xsd is schema1.xsd accessible to
schema3.xsd or do you have to include both schema1.xsd and schema2.xsd
in schema3.xsd?  Also does the namespace prefix stay the same through
out the includes, or do you have to redeclare the namespace with a new
namespace prefix.

Laura Hatcher