RE: Enumerations

Title: Enumerations
Hi John,

According to XML 1.0, it looks like this DTD would be illegal.

For XML Schema, enumeration values must be valid for the base type.  So, it is possible to list the empty string as a value, but only if the base type allows the empty string (Off the top of my head, I think this includes string, normalizedString, token, hexBinary, base64Binary).

For example,

<xsd:simpleType name="colorType">
  <xsd:restriction base="xsd:string">
    <xsd:enumeration value=""/>
    <xsd:enumeration value="green"/>
  </xsd:restriction>
</xsd:simpleType>

is OK because "" is a valid value for string.  However,

<xsd:simpleType name="colorType">
  <xsd:restriction base="xsd:integer">
    <xsd:enumeration value=""/>
    <xsd:enumeration value="333333"/>
  </xsd:restriction>
</xsd:simpleType>

is not OK because "" is not a valid integer.

--Priscilla