RE: XML.COM: How I Learned to Love daBomb

I'll confess to being unfamiliar with ONC-RPC, but if it is only available
on UNIX, that doesn't quite cut it. Also, if it is unable to handle
serializing complex graphs of data in a manner that is portable across
platforms, that also doesn't quite cut it. Although simple RPC invocations
are a common use case for web services today, there is also much use of it
exchanging far more complex data structures (such as in ebXML).

Your point is well taken, though. Although FTP and EDI predominated at
opposite ends of the spectrum, there have undoubtedly been other options
that never got the mainstream attention that XML gets today.