Re: Namespaces, schemas, Simon's filters.

"Fuchs, Matthew" wrote:
> (an explanation for the default setting of elementFormDefault)

Thank you. This is the first explanation of the issue that I've found
plausible and helpful. Could I summarise it by saying something like
this?:

Namespaces provide a semantic context for processing marked-up messages.
A processor for a namespace is any program that knows how to process
elements in the namespace. The fact that global elements may not have
the same name but different types clearly simplifies processor design.
Local elements, which may in different contexts have the same names but
different types, could complicate processor design. So taking them out
of the namespace enforces a dependency on their ancestral global
element, within which sub-context they are once again guaranteed to be
uniquely typed, and processor design is once again simplified.

Francis.