RE: Namespaces, schemas, Simon's filters.

Yes, you can always "cheat" locally, and any of the old-time SGMLers will
tell you that many applications were built around applying multiple DTDs to
instances - to very good l.  However, you need to be careful not to perturb
the document so as to lose the original semantics.  In particular, if you're
engaging in some multi-party activity, there's likely a "blessed" schema and
you can't move too far from that (and you'll need to go back to it when
sending something).

Matthew