RE: Namespaces, schemas, Simon's filters.

Francis,

Almost.  The goal behind local elements is the same as the goal behind
namespaces - they're an extension of the requirement to allow a local name
to refer to different types while allowing those uses to be distinguished.
With namespaces, the goal was to distinguish local names from different
sources (intentionally vague).  With local names it's to distinguish names
from different contexts within a schema.  The NS rec provides a design
(namespaces) and an implementation (prefixes) for fulfiling their goal.
Local elements are a design for the extended goal, and XSDL provides one
implementation which functions as you specify, and another which doesn't.
I, personally, don't like either, even though I once argued vociferously for
the former implementation.

But yes, the goal should always be to aid processor design, in the general
sense of processor you give (which, of course, includes you and me).

Matthew