RE: What are web services good for? (WAS: RE: Two new features o f theWeb)

Hi Michael,

Well if you have a reason to, it's certainly possible today although it
has nothing to do with SW directly.

> Both visions sound awfully similar, but I think the web
> services hype is
> grounded a bit more firmly in reality, right now.

Yes, but a web service is more of a new marketing name for something
existing since the first client-server app. Ok with some smarter ways,
better tools, medium and of course, less work. SW, deserves all the hype
it can get because that's what it will grow through. The more the
adopters, the bigger the possibilities. Web services just have a small
practical scope when compared to SW; it's evolution.

> Quite apart from that, there are plenty of cases of developers getting
> useful work done today with web services. Very few of them
> are paying too
> much attention to the hype; they are focusing on what they
> can do today, and
> they can accomplish quite useful things today.

I couldn't agree more on that.

Kindest regards,

Manos