RE: Why Are Schemas Hard? (WAS RE: "Uh, what do I need this for" (wasRE: XML.COM: How I Learne d t o Love daBomb))

> 1.  What about Schemas is hard?

I think one important factor is the readability.  While DTD is arcane, I
find it more readable than XML Schema.  XML Schema is more verbose,
fragmented, and complex than DTD.  With a DTD file, I can see the structure
at a glance (as long as the author didn't go overboard with parameter
entities), but not so with XML Schema where structure is hidden in a jungle
of elements.  In this jungle, namespace declarations dangle like vines and
obstructs your view of the whole.  Visual tools helps but their GUI design
usually limits 'field-of-vision' to one object at a time.

I am sure there are other facets, but readability seems to be a key factor.

Best,

Don Park
Docuverse