RE: Elements order:

hello everyone,

data modeling has many important tools. they manifest themselves in
programming languages as the different kinds of data structures provided
-- three important data structures provided are -- set, bag, list

data modeling without at least these three constructs, I believe, are
difficult. I say data modeling because when you are writing a schema, I
will say that what you are doing is data modeling.

XML does provide important list construct by the order of children etc.
But sometimes what is missing is the set/bag construct. Saying that
unordered content is not needed, I believe, is not correct.

In SGML, the unordered set of children could be specified using the any
order construct (specified as &) -- there is a problem with the original
any order construct specified in SGML -- the problem is that it is not a
binary operator -- in other words, (a & b & c) is not the same as

therefore the new documents (TREX, RELAX NG, and XML Query Algebra) use
shuffle product (or interleaved product) for any order. The shuffle
product is different from any order -- for example,

(a* & b*) where & is shuffle product is equivalent to the regular
expression (a | b)*.

you will be able to find more material about shuffle product from TREX and
RELAX NG specifications.

regards - murali.