Re: Namespaces, schemas, Simon's filters.

The non-normative part of the Namespace rec seems to agree with you [1] (The
"title" refered to here is an attribute):

"...In this example, there are three occurrences of the name title within
markup, and the name alone clearly provides insufficient information to
allow correct processing by a software module."

The implication of this sentence is that the type and the identifier should
have a 1-1 mapping.

I think it is pretty clear that the syntactic sugar of the Namespace rec
doesn't handle hierarchies all that well, and that Per-Element-Type
partitions introduce such hierarchies (of at least one level anyway).  So I
feel that the options are (a) enhance the syntax or (b) simplify (i.e.
flatten) the interpretation of what namespaces are.  The current situation
is just confusing.

Option (b) implies that an identifier might map to multiple types.  I think
the question boils down whether this ok or not.

Thanks,

Peter

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#sets-no-good