Re: Enlightenment via avoiding the T-word

Michael Brennan wrote:

> SOAP and WSDL do not do any type conversions.

You are right that WSDL does not force you to convert XML elements into
particular language-specific bit patterns. Nevertheless, WSDL uses XML
schema as a type abstraction and not necessarily as a validation tool.

"A message binding describes how the abstract content is mapped into a
concrete format." In that sense, WSDL implementations do a conversion
(mapping) from concrete elements (or more precisely, bits on a wire) to
types. I find this aspect of WSDL somewhat strange (using a schema
language for a transfer syntax as an abstract type system), but that's
life.

Other than that, I think we are in agreement.
--
Take a recipe. Leave a recipe.