Expanding entity references using the DOM implementation

A question on entity references while traversing a tree using the DOM
interface.

I have an entity reference that is defined to have two elements in it.

When I traverse the tree, using the DOM interface, and attempt to reference
the entity reference what should I expect:
an entity reference node and an additional child node containing the
equivalent value, the entity reference node and a subtree of element nodes
below it, no entity reference node but its equivalent text in a single node
or something else?

eg  in the dtd:

XML file:

<hello>