RE: Enlightenment via avoiding the T-word

Which is why I asked earlier about points of
view on these subjects depending on implementation
background.  The namespace utility's usefulness
has a lot to do with the system in which it is
used.  Again, surface syntax doesn't tell one
enough about the properties of the *system*.
That is why the groves people spent their
time working out a way to find and map invariants.

On mapping relational databases:  declare all
of the fields as globals and find out how much
name grunge is in your legacy system.  Declare
them locally (children in elements whose names
ARE the tablenames), and you hide all of that.
Use the ODBC connection of XML Spy to the
relational database and see how it represents
what it gets.

What you do about it depends on how much system code
you are willing to rewrite and that depends on
who else is using the schema.  But gad, there is a
lot of grunge in almost any legacy table design
and you have to track a bunch of people down to
find out if it is real or just grunge.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.