Re: Namespaces, schemas, Simon's filters.

Are you suggesting that local elements be annotated with an xsi:type
attribute (perhaps even added in at some post-processing stage)?  This is a
new syntax as far as the XML Namespace rec is concerned.  ;-)  Then deciding
the namespace of an element becomes a two-stage process---check for the
prefix and then check for the xsi:type attribute.  An important point is
that the second check is *not* part of the current Namespace rec.

I'm being nitpicky here, but according the Namespace rec: "An XML namespace
is a collection of names, ***identified by a URI reference***" [1]
(asterisks mine).  If the complex type name is in a namespace, then <URI of
namespace> + <complex type name> should technically evaluate to a URI, if
indeed a complex type creates its own namespace.  This is just an
observation, BTW.  Maybe this is all described somewhere in the XML Schema
rec.

In any case, somehow I feel I am not quite following what you are saying?

Thanks,

Peter

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-xml-names-19990114/#dt-namespace