RE: How to specify a Processing Instruction? (better: how tocontrolencoding on saving)

Then obviously something is wrong on *your* side. Or do you happen to use
loadXML()? In which case I recommend to read the SDK documentation and the
MSDN article about encodings
(<http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnxml/htm
l/xmlencodings.asp>).

> ISO-8859-1.  I think
> I might be starting to understand it.  If I do, then I think what everyone
> is saying is that I cannot start with an XML template, rather, I have to
> create the XML document completely over again, with the
> ISO-8859-1 encoding
> standard from the start and then hopefully the UPS text encoding will stay
> preserved when the node is added.

No, that's not the case. Start with a document like the one above, replace
the document element with what you need, and that's it.

> So, I can't take an existing DOM in whatever originally encoding it was,
> even UTF-8, modify it and save it in a differnet encoded byte stream?

You can. How this works depends on the implementation of the XML serializer
that you use with your DOM.

> > The XML recommendation addressed this by basing XML on Unicode
> and stating
> the only required encodings are UTF-8 and UTF-16.  Use of any other
> encodings is allowed but not required, so if you want
> > your documents to universally readable, you will encode them in either
> UTF-8 or UTF-16.
>
> Unfortunely, UPS requires the XML document be in a specific format with a
> certain text element being very specific.  I'm not in control of their
> parser or their requirements.

Is this requirement documented somewhere (web link)?