RE: How to specify a Processing Instruction? (better: how tocontrolencoding on saving)

I'd say it is forbidden. For instance, when loading the same document into
two different DOM implementations I'd expect that they create the same
number of processing instruction nodes. Otherwise they won't be
ineroperable.

> definitely stretching the intention.  An XML Declaration and
> Processing Instructions are distinct constructs in the XML
> specification.  The XML declaration can only appear at the very
> start of an XML document, Processing Instructions can appear
> anywhere in the
> document are expressly forbidden from using "xml" as their target
> (the part after the <?)

So XML declarations aren't processing instructions, and reporting them as
such is a conformance problem.