Re: Namespaces Best Practice

On 26 Aug 2001 14:55:38 -0400, Jonathan Borden wrote:
> 2) Use of XML Namespaces is optional in XML document and application
> design - however - it is a best practice to either use or not use XML
> namespaces in a single document format/application. That is, if XML
> Namespaces are to be used, it is a best practice to qualify all elements.

Fundamentally I agree with this, but there's still one thing troubling
me: XSLT.

XSLT processors only cares about the XSLT namespace and a few other
bits; everything else is more or less a passive recipient of
information.  Mixing unqualified names with XSLT is a remarkably common
practice, and needs to be if XSLT is going to be used to generate
documents which don't themselves use namespaces.

Does there need to be an "XSLT exception" or is there some general way
of describing this that might make sense within the context of (2)?

Simon St.Laurent
http://simonstl.com