RE: infinite depth to namespaces

Right.  Which is why, if you're going to use local elements in a schema, you
should make them unqualified, as that works best with existing software.
See my response to Rick.

This also shows that best practices need to evolve.  While "put everything
in a namespace" was reasonable best practice before the arrival of XSDL, the
concretization of a notion of "local elements" (I hesitate to call it
"formalization") - just as the Namespaces rec concretized the notion of
"global attribute", which hadn't existed syntactically before, although
people used them - can change what best practices can be.  And best
practices for local elements is unqualified.

Matthew