Re: Is "xmlns:xml" legal or not?

>Recently, I've run into a compatibility problem with some XML tools over
>whether it is valid to have an "xmlns:xml" declaration in a document.

This is already on the "potential erratum" list for the Namespaces
spec, and will be clarified one way or the other.

I don't know how it will turn out, but I strongly recommmend that you
avoid declaring the xml prefix, and that tools at least warn about it,
since not declaring it will certainly continue to be legal!

-- Richard